Friday, February 15, 2013

Brazilian odyssey

A long-anticipated day has finally arrived.  Tonight I board a plane heading for Recife Brazil, where my middle son is finishing up his mission.

The trip will be a long one.  I leave tonight (Friday) at 10:30 P.M. and won't arrive in Recife until Sunday afternoon, more than 33 hrs. of travel.   

In 1983 and 1984 I served my own mission to Paraguay, which has a border with Brazil.  At that time I was able to visit Brazil on P-days, while serving in one of my areas.  We were allowed to go visit the Iguazu falls and the close-by areas, and were exposed to Portuguese, which intrigued me, because it is in many ways similar to Spanish.  I've always wanted to go back to Brazil, and so now that the chance has come, I'm taking it.

The Mission President was excited for me and was very welcoming.  A member family has generously offered to let my son and I stay with them for the week that we'll be there together.  I will be his missionary companion during that time. 

I expect the whole week to be taken up visiting families and investigators that he has come to know while serving there.  I have been studying Portuguese for the past year so that I will be somewhat able to communicate and share my testimony.  I will finish reading the Book of Mormon in Portuguese today. 

I expect it to be a week of rejoicing and blessing.  I am not interested in touristy stuff.  I care about people, and I want to get to know as many of them as possible. 

At some point in the next couple of weeks, I expect that we will have some good serious discussions about the hard things.  The things I've learned.  Where I'm at.  The dangers, and the traps, and the hope that I have for myself and for him.  I hope that by doing so I can help to spare him from some of the misery and suffering that I've been through, and that I've put others through.

So, dear friends, you will probably not be hearing much, if anything, from me for the next two weeks or so.  I expect to keep my bottom planted firmly to the seat of the wagon during that time, and I'll fill you in when I get back!

Love, Dan  

17 comments:

  1. Have a safe trip:) That sounds so exciting! My prayers are with you and your son as you journey through the hard things.

    "I can do all things through Christ, which strengtheneth me." Philippians 4:13

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sparrow, my friend. You are a dear!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How exciting. I think it'll be an amazing experience and exactly what you must need right now. Safe travels.

    ReplyDelete
  4. reach out! I have a feeling this will be amazing. Can't wait to hear about your experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  5. you removed your word verification!!! whoot whoot!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the real things in life. Sounds like a great adventure. Happy traveling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm "leaning into" my 13 hr Atlanta layover right now. Very real. lol Thanks, Freckles!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a big opportunity! Enjoy the time with your son!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, MM! You and my other recovery friends will be "with me" the whole way!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think this is the coolest opportunity!! My sister is in the Philippines right now (coming home in April) and I'd give anything to be her companion for the last week of her mission! I hope you'll "report" to us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia! We're in NYC right now. Should be back on the left coast late tonight. I will fill you in. All is well.

      Delete
    2. Thanks, Alicia! We're in NYC right now. Should be back on the left coast late tonight. I will fill you in. All is well.

      Delete