Sunday, January 6, 2013

Trials (but just little ones)

It was a good week, on balance.  I did not have any significant problems maintaining my sobriety.  That doesn't necessarily mean that it was an easy week for me, though.

I have a tendency to glom onto things.  Like when I learned to ride the unicycle.  I stayed up until after midnight night after night, in the dark and in the cold, until I got it.

Well, I have sort of glommed onto the blogs, and made some people uncomfortable.  To those individuals I apologize.  Please forgive me!  I will scale back my comments. 

I am pretty much overly sensitive.  I always have been.  I think that has always been  a part of my addiction process.  I get unsettled very easily.  I get sad easily.  I feel rejected easily.  I take correction only with great difficulty.  That can lead me to want to numb it out with acting out. 

The good news is that now I understand that, and am better equipped to handle it! 

I've heard that it can be helpful for the lust addict to pray for person(s) that they are lusting after.  I have stopped cold turkey, so haven't really had a chance to practice that.  I hope I never do!  But, I figured if it would help in that situation, perhaps it would help to pray for anyone else that I had unsettled feelings with.  And guess what?  It's working! 

I went to my SA meeting tonight.  I was elected librarian!  So you see, I am a winner! ha ha.  I get to purchase literature for the group store.  I am feeling like the group is accepting of me.  I have written and revised my first step presentation, and expect to be able to give it in a couple of weeks.  I am enjoying the meetings, and always get a lot out of them. 

8 comments:

  1. For what it's worth: I appreciate your comments.
    Sorry you had a harder week -but great job for keeping up the fight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alicia! It's worth a lot actually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I owned a book store if you want any suggestions. We had a pretty good selection of the latest and greatest self-help titles. Nice post Dan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Freckles! I have a short list of pre-approved titles for Sexaholics Annonymous, but I would welcome suggestions just for positive literature that you have come across that might help fortify me personally!

      Delete
  4. Dan you are a true warrior just beginning to discover his worth - you are a great man and I enjoy fighting by your side brother!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Chris! I'm giving it my best! It's nice having your support.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hear ya, it's hard in the beginning. We find that even as addicts we are viciously codependent as well and rely entirely too much on others opinions to feel good. I used to be the same way. Heck, I still am with certain people. For me, this began to heal itself, along with everything else, when I started really working recovery. Slowly it has turned to really only wanting to please my Savior... when I do that, everything else seems to just fall into place:-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, Sidreis. What you say makes perfect sense! I want that very much; and I readily admit that I am so very weak in that area. I want to hurry up and move on to those steps. My sponsor is one of those that likes to see the process drawn out, though. Ha ha. I may sneak ahead. (Just kidding, that would be cheating, and I'm not supposed to do that) I am SO impatient. Thanks, Sidreis for your comment!

    ReplyDelete